Posts for tag: Foot Problems
The human foot has 26 bones, 33 joints and 42 muscles. While it's truly impressive to have so many moving parts in such a small package, people often find themselves having problems due to those parts malfunctioning. From soreness to swelling, many conditions can arise in the feet. Luckily, with help from Oakton Foot and Ankle in Fairfax, VA, you can easily find the best course of action to treat any problem that comes your way.
Why do my feet hurt?
There are countless conditions pertaining to the feet. Some of the most common and easily treatable ones are:
- Bunions: Occurring mostly in women, bunions are bony growths that occur at the base of the big toe. Since your body weight falls directly onto thebig toe, bunions can make walking and even wearing certain shoes painful.
- Corns: Corns are an area of inflamed, thickened skin, usually due to shoes or socks rubbing that area.
- Athlete’s foot: Athlete’s foot occurs in about 15% of the world’s population, and is a common fungal infection that causes itchy, scaling skin on the feet.
- Heel Spurs: Heel spurs are a calcium deposit located on the bottom of the heel bone. This condition often causes no pain, but can become painful over time.
- Flat feet: Flat feet are a deformity of the arch of the foot, making the arch flat, and causing uneven distribution of weight on the foot. This condition could affect gait and cause pain in the feet and legs.
- Plantar fasciitis: This condition, usually worse during the first steps of the day or after long periods of sitting, causes pain in the heel and bottom of the foot.
What can I do to solve these problems?
Sometimes, just putting your feet up and taking a load off can cure aching feet. Often, over the counter medications such as ibuprofen, anti-fungal creams, or special inserts for your shoes are enough to treat some conditions. However, depending on the severity of some of these, treatments could end up being surgical. The best way to find out what treatment is best is to team up with your Fairfax, VA podiatrist.
Dr. Steven R. Vetter D.P.M and the staff at Oakton Foot and Ankle Center in Fairfax, VA are skilled in diagnosing and treating all manner of foot troubles. Call (703) 352-8888 to schedule an appointment today!